Sunday, September 4, 2011

2-month Life in the Concrete Jungle














It has been 2 months since I (aka Michael in my working environment now) moved in to this concrete jungle to begin my life as a young engineer. Thanks God and my friends (Ivan, Soon Seng (aka Lee in his woking life now) and Jing Hui (aka Gennie in her working life now) for getting us a house near the previous KTM railway where we are surrounded by some big old trees – a green peaceful place hardly found in Singapore to my knowledge. Thanks to Tai Koon also (aka Tan in his working life now) for coming to join us to help change the $$$ in the form of PL (point load) to UDL (uniformly distributed load). Now the load is a bit OK, 4T24 + 1T23 should be adequate to support the load. ^0^. 


Singapore is a country near to Johore Bahru with a population of 5 million plus people, a land with area of 694 km2 (Wikipedia, 2011). Why am I here instead of working in my lovely hometown – KL where there is a plethora of civil engineering jobs too? This has to be due to a book – my Hydraulics lecture note by a friendly lecturer – Mr.Amat Sairin. Not that Mr.Amat introduced me my current job, but the fact is due to the lecture note, I was given the chance to get know to my company via a senior. (I always like to and am eager to know the story behind for a particular event instead of the told story which is more often than not unreal or beautifully narrated to deceive or deviated from actual story). In December 2010 where I came back earlier for my Final Year Project concrete casting, a senior of my friend asked me whether I had the aforementioned book or not. I answered yes because I had kept those books useful to me or where my knowledge of that subject is not so strong that I can give the books to others. So, I lent him my lecture note (Note: Lent (past tense of lend) = An action of GIVE. To be explained later the reason why I highlight the word GIVE). 


Few months later in April (really after a long time, haha), the senior - Fu Wei had finally returned the book to me. Maybe due to his “paisehness’’, he asked me whether I am interested in Geotechnical Engineering job in Singapore or not. I was elated hearing that because during that time, most of my coursemates had already been recruited to certain companies in KL and Singapore, while I was still unemployed. But, I was never worried about that because I believe in myself. Not that I had lots of A, but just that I am very conscious of my strength and weakness. I am not that kind of people who follow what others are doing for the sake of having or to show “I am having too”. Instead of choosing structural engineering, I try to explore another interesting field dealing with soils and rocks. But, I do learn structural engineering too on my own because even being specialized in a particular field, the fundamentals still have to be learnt in order to be qualified to be called as a Pro. That is my thought and my direction. But I know there are obstacles to learn all, but I will attempt to grab as much as I can to be strong and “voracious’ during meeting with clients or contractors, to be able to defend what is correct. Together with the knowledge I am collecting and the serious face I have when I do not smile, don’t step on my head because I am “kecil-kecil cili padi”. Haha. Psycho a bit here. Anyway, I always welcome correction and advice when I am proved wrong with tangible explanation. So then, I got the contact e-mail from the senior and tried to contact and to arrange interview with the company, alone, in a new city. From the moment I said to the senior, “Yes, I am interested. You may give me the e-mail”, I had decided to accept the fact that I would be working and living in the new city all by myself. But, some other friends do join me later. In the end, after a successful interview, I am now in and working in that company as I am doing and writing now (RECEIVE). 

GIVE and RECEIVE. A very interesting topic most of people notice but hardly practise. As told in the 2 books by Ryonda Byrne (one I had fnished reading while another newer one I am still reading), “Whatever you give out in life is what you receive back in life.Give positivity, you receive back positivity; give negativity, you receive back negativity”. That is what happen to me. Never would I think of working in Singapore and some more in my interested field if I have never lent (GIVE) my Hydraulics book to the senior and he brought me the chance of working as what I want (RECEIVE). The give and receive story is totally identical to action-reaction theory I have been practicing all the while even before I read those 2 Ryonda books. I adapted the Newton’s Law of Motion in my life as I find it truly true. That I why I am really really really glad when I read or notice people are writing or talking about a theory identical to what I am practicing. A practice I conclude from my reading and knowledge, which may sometimes do not work out as written in my previous article. Hehe. Humans being are very dynamic. An unpredictable creature. Therefore, please be appreciative and grateful to the chance people offer or share with you because you may not be able to have the chance if the person just do not share with you. Thanks to the book and my senior. I feel glad and grateful for you share with me (though just giving me the contact) a job. I will not say it is the best, but I will say it suits me for the moment. Gratitude. ^0^.


 So, what had I achieved in this 2 months? Besides the bank notes with Yusof bin Ishak on it, for me, no matter what job or title I carry during money-earning time, I must be qualified, skilled or professional, be it a computer peripheral seller, home tutor or now as an engineer. I will attempt and do my best as title carry. I never look down on people with different job title as long as (s)he is skilled and knowing what (s)he is doing. It is pointless telling people that you are skilled or professional and have high income, but you are kind of “a…..ah…..erm……” when people ask you something simple or basic about your field. I do not mean I know everything in that sense, but I do see lots of people out there are far too arrogant with their job or high income. Fortunately, none of them is in my circle of life. For instance, during my time as a PC seller after SPM, I did my best to be as skilled as possible though in the beginning, I was also just a dumb to PC – motherboard, RAM (Random Access Memory), HDD (Hard Disk Drive), graphic card, TV tuner etc. (To be continued after I have my Magnolia chocolate milk which is going to be expired soon, hehe). BRB.

No comments:

Post a Comment